Monday, September 30, 2013

"Why did you come back to Mexico?"

It seems that even more Mexicans have been asking me and my family what we decided to come back to Mexico than Americans asked us before we left. Now, mostly these are acquaintances who imagine that we must have an amazing life in the US, for whom it is unfathomable that anybody would choose to stay in Mexico when they could retreat to the paradise of America.

But  for our Mexican friends, who know that we came back without guaranteed jobs and are really taking a huge leap of faith to be here, it is even more puzzling. They are really curious about why we came back. At a recent birthday party for one of Sally's classmates, a couple of parents really wanted to get to the bottom of this with me. I had to laugh a little bit inside too when they asked, "so are you missionaries?" They could see the faith connection to what we are doing in Mexico, but couldn't quite put it together (I am still trying to figure it out for myself!).

"And why are you working with juveniles in prison?" That was the topping on the cake. Americans choosing to live in Mexico. Without a job (yet). And working with criminals. I could see the gears grinding to a halt in their heads.

When we were in Mexico last year Amanda ran into a pastor in a restaurant. He was an American missionary kid who had grown up in Mexico and married a Mexican woman. Amanda kept connection with him on Facebook and we invited them over to our house for dinner last week. He asked the same question. Why?

I told him about working in Argentina at a boys home and how it gave me a broader view of my faith and the world. I told him that I had once thought about being a preacher or pastor or even a missionary. But that wasn't where I was at any longer. But I believe that my faith compels me to use my talents and education to seek justice. That just making money and finding security in material things makes me feel empty. And I believe we are trying to do God's work. Satan wants kids to rot in prison and waste their lives. God wants kids to be surround by love. And that is why we came back to Mexico.

I guess I could have just said "I love Mexico! My work fills me with purpose."

No comments:

Post a Comment